History of the centre
In 1931, by the decision of the Government of the Armenian Soviet Socialist Republic "Institute of Maternal and child protection" was established in Yerevan. In 1937, the maternal sector of the Institute was transformed into Scientific Research Institute of Obstetrics and Gynecology. Professor G.J. Areshyan was appointed as the director of the institute. For the first 15-20 years the employees of the Institute were naturally occupied with the major problem of "pregnancy and malaria", because the republic was in widespread epidemic of malaria.
Besides the malaria issue, the employees of the Institute were engaged in the following medical issues:
- Studying of features of physiology and pathology of women in the Armenian Soviet Socialist Republic
- Uterine cancer
- Working out of questions of the organization and scientifically-practical statement of obstetric-gynecologic help to the population of the republic
- Advisory cooperation with Management of the Treatment-and-Prophylactic Help to Children and Mothers of Ministry of Health of the Armenian Soviet Socialist Republic
- A labor pain relief
- Questions of stillbirth, maternal and children's death rate
- Physiology and pathology of fetus and newborn.
From 1950 in connection with reorganization and expansion of the Institute and with rapid development in medicine, the Institute intensively started to research subjects of influence of working conditions and life on specific functions of female organism.
During this very period appeared the first research works devoted to organizational, scientifically-practical questions and professional training.
In 1950 the Obstetrics and Gynecology Institute was separated from the Department with the same name and was transferred to a building of the Central Maternity Hospital of Yerevan (22 Lenin's avenue, now 22 Mashtots Avenue) where it is up to this day.
The head of the Institute was appointed a famous and honored professor of medicine, Dr. P. H. Margaryan.
From 1973 to 1989 the director of Scientific Research Institute of Obstetrics and Gynecology became Dr. Grigori G. Okoev. In 1973 the structure of the institute and the scientific priorities were reorganized.
During this period, two departments of the Yerevan Institute of Postgraduate Training were operating on the basis of the Institute: Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Department of Pathological Anatomy.
In 1981, a branch of Moscow WHO collaborating Center was organized at the Institute, which in 1986 became an independent WHO collaborating Center which operates up to this day.
At that stage, Institute developed a republican medical-genetic Center, republican Center of perinatological diagnostics, republican prosectorium of newborns, republican scientifically-methodical Center, republican Center of hyperbaric oxygenation and regional Center of artificial insemination.
Scientific researches of the Institute related to major problems of that period: "Influences of deliveries on fetus and newborn" and "Clinic and treatment of some forms of infringement of the ovarian-menstrual functions".
Diagnostics methods of asphyxia and hypoxia of fetus (phonocardiography, estimation of acid-base balance of blood, ultrasound examination etc.) were introduced.
In 1989, the Scientific Research Institute of Obstetrics and Gynecology was renamed to Research Center of Maternal and Child Health Protection.
From 1989 to 1999 the director of the Center was Professor K.B. Akunts. Former themes have been continued and finished and new ones were developed: questions of prenatal infection of fetus, congenital and hereditary pathology and endocrine sterility. From 1999 to present time the director of the Center is Professor Georgi Okoev.
In 1999, neonatal intensive care department was created with the second stage follow-up.
In 2002, cytogenetic laboratory of RCMCHP introduced pre-and-postnatal diagnostics of chromosomal anomalies of modern highly effective molecular-cytogenetic method - a method of flyuorestsent in situ hybridizations (FISH). Thus, the cytogenetic practice of Armenia obtained a three-state international standard of genetic research of patients: clinical research, research with classical methods of cytogenetic and molecular-cytogenetic researches.
In 2003, a breakthrough in auxiliary reproductive technologies occurred in the Center. For the first time in Armenia, within the precincts of RCMCHP, a pregnancy through in vitro fertilization was developed and triplets were successfully delivered on February 5, 2004.
From 2007 the X-Ray laboratory provides the following services:
1. a X-Ray densitometer of new generation "HOLOGIC QDR 4500", opening big prospects in the decision of the problem of diagnostics, treatment, and prophylactic medical examination of women of perimenopausal age;
2. mammography (the device "Siemens mammomat") used for diagnostics of diseases of mammary glands which essentially allows to raise the quality of